National Museum of Scotland
The National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, Scotland, is a recent almagamation of the new Museum of Scotland, and the adjacent Royal Scottish Museum That was opened in 1866 as the Edinburgh Museum of Science and Art It was renamed in 1904, and between 1985 and the merger named the Royal Museum of Scotland or simply the Royal Museum. It had s international collections covering science and technology, natural history, and world cultures.] The two connected buildings stand beside each other on Chambers Street. Admission is free of charge
Royal Scottish Acadamy
The Royal Scottish Acadamy has occupied it's present building since 1826. Exhibition space has recently been modernised, and the aim of the academy is to cultivate visual arts in Scotland. It is a privately funded institution led by eminent artists. Understanding and enjoying the visual arts is of paramount importance to the Academy. In addition to hosting many exhibitions, the latest which can be found on their web page, the Academy administers awards's and scholarships for artists living in Scotland. The RSA runs a year-round programme of exhibitions, artist opportunities and related educational talks and events which support artists at all stages of their careers. The Academy’s distinguished history is reflected in its extensive collections and archives and has been awarded Recognised Collection status by Museums Galleries Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Government for being a collection of National Significance to Scotland.The Academy also has extensive archives of important work covering the last 200 years. Some of those are available to researchers by appointment only. Contact can be made here or by telephoning 0131 225 6671. Entrance is free.
The National Gallery of Scotland
The National Gallery of Scotland is situated to the rear of the Royal Scottish Academy taking pride of place where the Mound meets Princes Street. The Scottish National Gallery (formerly the National Gallery of Scotland) is the national art gallery of Scotland. It is located on The Mound in central Edinburgh, close to Princes Street. The building was designed in a neoclassical style by William Henry Playfair, and first opened to the public in 1859. After the Castle it is the second most visited place in Edinburgh. It is home to a fantastic collection of art and one of Europe's premier staging of international exhibitions. This venue houses the Scottish national collection of art and you will stumble across masterpieces from Rembrandt to Van Gogh and from Rubens to Monet. Visitors facilities are excellent boasting a restaurant, cafe and IT gallery and a help desk. it does not matter where you are from the exhibitions are displayed in a International context. The web site keeps you abreast of what is happening and what is being exhibited. Contact can be made here or by telephoning 0131 624 6200. Entrance is free. The National Galleries of Scotland run a free bus service between all of the Galleries
Scottish National Portrait Gallery
The Scottish National Portrait Gallery is a magnificent building that overlooks the New town of Edinburgh. It gives an unusual history of Scotland from portraits of the very people who made the history of Scotland. It was the first Portrait Gallery in the world and a favorite from locals and visitors alike. It is within 5 to 10 minutes walking distance from the two previous mentioned galleries. The portrait gallery houses portrait from Mary, Queen of Scots to David Hume and from Robert Burns the National Bard to Sir Walter Scott. Visitor facilities are good and the gallery houses a print room giving educational sources of information for scholars and students alike. This facility is by appointment only. Contact can be made here or by telephoning 0131 624 6200. Entrance is free. Community and access groups are invited to explore the national collection through guided or self-led visits. They also offer a free programme of dementia-friendly workshops, aiming to create a relaxed, welcoming and sociable environment where all contributions are welcomed and valued.The National Galleries of Scotland run a free bus service between all of the Galleries
The Dean Gallery
The Dean Gallery is one of the more recent purchases of the National Galleries of Scotland. It was opened in 1999 in a building that was a former orphanage, designed by Thomas Hamilton in 1830. The gallery contains a large selection of dadiasm and surrealist art and literature. The gallery has an outstanding archive and artist books collection. Facilities include a cafeteria, library, picnic area, research facilities for students, shop and study facilities. The research facilities are by appointment only. The gallery is set in parkland where you can discover sculptures by important artists. The Edinburgh born sculpture Sir Eduardo Paolozzi has a substantial amount of his work on display. Contact can be made here or by telephoning 0131 624 6200. Entrance is free but there may be a charge for special exhibitions.The National Galleries of Scotland run a free bus service between all of the Galleries.
The Gallery of Modern Art
The Gallery of Modern Art is situated across the road from the previous mentioned gallery. It is set in lovely parkland and the lawn was re-landscaped in 2002 by Charles Jencks. The gallery shows works of art and exhibitions from about 1900 onwards. That includes work by Francis Bacon and Andy Warhol amongst others. The building was erected in 1882 and was then John Watson's School and of Neoclassical design. The gallery moved to it's present site in 1984. The collection now numbers some 5000 items ranging over the many aspects of modern art. Contact can be made here or by telephoning 0131 624 6200. Groups of 10 or more adults can book guided tours or self-led visits to view the permanent collection and temporary exhibitions. We can also offer bespoke tours if you have a theme in mind. All tours are led by experienced art educators.The National Galleries of Scotland run a free bus service between all the Galleries.
Talbot Rice Gallery
The Talbot Rice Gallery is part of the University of Edinburgh and was opened in 1975. It is named after David Talbot Rice a Professor of Fine Arts and is one of Scotlands leading Galleries of visual art rooted in a academic situation. The gallery plays a key part in the cultural life of the City of Edinburgh drawing a international audience by hosting dynamic exhibitions and events. The gallery consists of three venues the White Gallery, the Georgian Gallery and the Round Room. Talbot Rice Gallery presents original and relevant exhibitions within a unique historical context. The exhibitions exemplify creativity and ambition, seen through a distinctive programme of Scottish and international artists, with informed interpretation and lively educational events. It is free.
Surgeons Hall Museum
Surgeons' Hall in Edinburgh, Scotland, is the headquarters of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. It houses the Surgeons' Hall Museum, and the library and archive of the RCSEd. The present Surgeons' Hall was designed by William Henry Playfair and completed in 1832. The collection contains the largest and most historic collections of surgical pathology in the world, including bone and tissue specimens, artefacts and works of art. is located on Nicolson Street which is approximately a 10 minute walk from Waverley train station. There are several buses that pass Surgeons' Hall Museums. Buses 3, 5, 7, 8, 14, 29, 30, 31, 37 and 49 all pass through the city centre and stop near the museum. There is a admission charge for this venue.